I am often amazed by the reckless driving I see on my way into to the office. So many accidents could be easily avoided. We handle the after effects in our business every day
So, I thought I'd send you a quick "reminder" this month. PLEASE ... read through this short list of safety reminders. It won't take long, and it could save your life!
We drive so much it becomes sub-conscious. So, let these safety reminders dwell in your sub-conscious, too...
- Back off. Odds are, if you can clearly read the bumper stickers on the car in front while moving- you're too close!
I wish I had the statistic of how many car accidents are rear-ending collisions. It's a lot. I realize in heavy traffic it's sometimes impossible to keep a safe distance between you and the car in front. But try.
A safe distance is determined by a 2 second gap - that is, when the driver in front of you passes a road marker, you shouldn't get there for 2 seconds. That means the faster you're going, the bigger the gap between you and the driver in front should be.
- Slow down. I know its cliché, but speed kills. It really does. Plus, speeding tickets are expensive. And if an insurance carrier finds out about it - and they do check - you could get a rate increase, too.
- Put on that seatbelt. Why fight the odds? Statistics prove that seatbelts save lives. Not to mention in most states being caught without your seatbelt on means a hefty fine. Be safe - put it on!
- Are you too close to the airbag? Make sure you're more than 10 inches from the steering wheel. If you're too close, an inflating airbag could hurt or kill you.
- Pay attention to road conditions ... and slow down! If you lose control of your vehicle on a wet road, you might blame the road, but the cops and the insurance company won't. They'll blame you! Remember, you're responsible for controlling the car you're driving in ALL conditions.
- Check all around before changing lanes. Never assume another car isn't there. Look. It only takes a few seconds for a car to move into a dangerous position.
Of course, there are tons of safe driving tips, these are just the top ones
hope this short list sticks in your sub-conscious mind and keeps you safe.
From everyone here at Capria Insurance Agency, we thank you for your business and may the roads you travel always be safe ones!